In 2017 the volunteers from the CPVG undertook to restore and bring back into use an important building on the Croxteth Park Estate.
The Old Kennels is an important building on the estate and is Grade ll listed
It was built in the 1870’s from a design by John Douglas (as was the Gamekeeper’s House alongside). At the back there are several kennels for the gundogs, each with a small run, then beyond this a fenced exercise/training area for the dogs. Much of this part was really overgrown prior to the input of the volunteers, so the original features were obscured.
The gable of the building features pargeting (incised plasterwork), one of the characteristic design elements of Douglas’s work.
Previous use in ‘Modern’ times was firstly as a base for the dog section of the Liverpool City Parks Police, then Croxteth Park Security Dog Section, then as a Woodland Officer’s office, so also used for some traditional woodland craft demonstrations